Handling Landlord/Tenant Issues, Traffic Tickets And Other Legal Matters

  1. Home
  2.  » Evictions

Evictions Lawyer Protecting Landlords

Problem tenants can cause major headaches for landlords throughout Missouri. If a tenant in your building has refused to pay rent or otherwise unlawfully violated the terms of the lease, eviction may be the next step. The eviction process, however, must be handled carefully. One misstep or unintentional violation of the renter’s rights could make things worse for you.

I am attorney Kalpesh J. Patel, the owner of The Patel Law Firm, LLC, in Independence. If you are considering evicting a tenant, I can help. I have extensive experience protecting landlords who are pursuing evictions anywhere in the area.

Reasons For Eviction

There are several lawful reasons for evicting a tenant. They include but are not limited to:

  • Failure to pay rent
  • Conducting illegal activity on the property, including drug-related activity and illegal gambling
  • Damaging the property
  • Failing to move out after a lease has expired
  • Assaulting the landlord or another tenant

If a tenant is engaged in illegal drug-related or violent activity on your property, you do not have to give notice of eviction. Call me at 888-428-9427 to start an emergency eviction.

Petition For Rent And Possession

When a tenant fails to pay rent on time, the landlord is responsible for making a written demand for rent before the tenant can be evicted. If the tenant still does not pay rent, eviction proceedings can begin.

The first step is a petition for rent and possession. As your lawyer, I will file an affidavit with the circuit court that — among other things — explains the terms of the lease and that the tenant refused to comply with the written demand. If the petition is accepted, a court date will be set and the tenant will be notified. He or she will have the opportunity to challenge the petition or pay rent and court costs in full to end the proceedings.

Unlawful Detainer Actions

If you have informed a tenant that he or she must leave your property upon the expiration of his or her lease but he or she refused to do so, an unlawful detainer may be the best course of action. As your attorney, I will assist you in submitting the appropriate documents to the court and making sure the process is handled correctly.

Contact My Independence Law Firm Today

I have the experience to help you successfully seek the eviction of a problem tenant. Call my office today at 816-533-7664 or fill out an online contact form to schedule a consultation.